Thursday, July 14, 2005


Bubbie and Zadie Plotkin 1953 Posted by Picasa

We used to go to Bubbie and Zadie's, my mother's parents' apartment, in Englewood. Things I remember about this include the overstuffed furniture and the quiet, stacking and wrapping the coins from the newsstand, the 63rd Street streetcar and electric sparks flying from the line, and the visit always being the same time on Sundays. When my grandfather died, my Bubbie moved in with us. I was 10 at the time and had to give up my bed to my grandmother, so she and my sister shared the one bedroom. My parents slept in the sun-parlor, and I would be sleeping for the next 3 years on a roll-away bed in the dining room. The light coming off the kitchen and the rattle of my dad's breakfast dishes waking me temporarily every morning about two hours before I needed to wake up for school.

No comments: