Sunday, December 12, 2004

Man, have I been sick. Not as sick as the time I had the flu and in a feverish moment of dementia looked up at my wife, who is black and now my ex-wife, and called her "Mom." It was a moment of helplessness and innocence, which any other woman might have found endearing, but this woman snarled at.

There is something special about illness, not serious life-threatening illness, but the kind that does require caretaking and nurturing that one almost longs for, both the illness and the nurturing.

For the past four days, I've been pretty darn sick with eyes, ears, throat, and chest infection, taking antibiotics, and antibacterial eyedrops, drinking lots of tea, and maximizing my bedtime. I even took two days off work. And although I wouldn't allow anyone to caretake me, because I was contagious, I had plenty of attention from family and friends calling regularly to check up on me.

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better. Now leave me the Hell alone!

No comments: